Pages

Saturday 8 June 2013

DIY: Fabric Flower Bud Earrings


I'll tell you something a lot of people probably don't know or even notice about me. I don't have my ears pierced. I also don't have plans to get them pierced any time soon. This is the place where you stare at the screen and go What! How can someone who makes jewelery not even wear one of the most essential pieces? I don't really know. Well for one thing the whole word 'pierced', like with a needle, doesn't really sit well with me. I've survived this long without pierced ears, why change that.


One thing I do know is that not having pierced ears does not stop me from making a whole load of earrings. Mainly to sell, but also for my sister and mother. So now that it's pretty much summer (Yay sunshine, finally), the flowers are starting to bloom. Here I've made some cute earrings inspired by flower buds.




















Supplies:
  • Soft/Silky fabric
  • Scissors
  • 2 Filigree bead cons
  • 2 Earring hooks
  • 2 Head pins
  • 2 Small plain beads
  • 2 Jump rings (optional)
  • Flat and Round nose pliers



















Start by cutting circles out of the fabric. They should be big enough so that when they are folded up inside the bead cone they poke out the bottom. I found that folding the fabric and cutting half circles was easier, but they still turned out kind of oval.



















I cut out three circles for each earring. They all ended up being slightly different sizes, but that will make the earrings all the more interesting. Next thread the beads onto the head pins. You will not see these beads in the end, so how they look is not important. They are to keep the fabric from sliding off the head pins.



















Carefully thread the fabric circles onto the head pin, right side up. If the circles are different sizes put the largest one on first. Slide them all the way to the bottom.



















Thread the bead cone onto the headpin. Adjust the fabric so that it all fits inside the cone. Wire wrap the head pin into a loop. Attach directly to the earring hook, or attach with a jump ring.


I made this other pair with only two layers of fabric, but the circles had a bigger size difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment