Pages

Wednesday 19 June 2013

DIY: Neon Fabric Spray Paint Tee

This DIY has been the first almost-fail in the history of this blog. I have seen some interesting tutorials on the web for at-home screen printing with freezer paper. I wasn't sure what freezer paper was but soon found out that I didn't have any. But it is similar to wax paper, which I did have. I found other tutorials that stated that you could use wax paper for screen printing, the only difference being that you can't directly iron on the wax paper, you have to put another material over it. I tried that and... No matter how hard (or hot) I ironed I could not get the wax paper to stick to the t-shirt. So on to plan B:


This is not a traditional screen printed tee, where you paint within a cut-out image. Instead, you paint around a pattern then remove it to reveal a void in the paint.



















Supplies:
  • White T-shirt
  • Fabric Spray Paint
  • Masking or Painters Tape
  • Cardboard
  • Scissors
  • Table Covering (news paper, old sheet, ect.)
  • Rubber Gloves (optional)



















First wash and dry your t-shirt.
Cover your table, this will get messy. Choose a simple design for your t-shirt that can be mapped out with straight lines (star, square, triangle, ect). Put the cardboard inside the t-shirt (so that the paint can't seep through). Tape out your pattern on the front of the t-shirt. Securely press down the tape.

 

















If you don't want to run the risk of getting paint on your hands, snap on the rubber gloves now. Follow the instructions for your paint and start spraying your t-shirt. The paint that I was using had the interesting feature that a full pump would create a mist and half a pump would make a splatter.



















And spray... and spray... Until you feel happy with it. Focus the paint around the design so that the lines will be well defined when the tape is removed.
Let the paint dry according to the instructions. Remove the tape and wear!


Has anyone noticed that I never model anything? I like to be more behind the scenes with a camera in my hands, not in front of the lens.


Fooling around with my sis :)

2 comments:

  1. Neon Fabric Spray is real great way of deigning and adding glow effects to your fabrics & apparels.
    Hi Viz apparel

    ReplyDelete